The Los Angeles Work Injury Attorneys

Commonly Asked Questions About Sports Injuries In California

Whether you are a professional athlete in the majors or minors or an amateur who plays for an employer’s team, you may be entitled to workers’ compensation if you are injured. At the Law Offices of Hinden & Breslavsky, APC, in Los Angeles, we represent people from across the amateur and professional sports spectrum. Learn how we may be able to help you after an injury. No case is too big or too small.

Can professional athletes get workers’ compensation?

Yes, professional sports leagues and/or teams typically have workers’ compensation insurance to cover injured players’ medical expenses, physical rehabilitation and a portion of their lost wages. In general, injuries must be sustained during a game, practice or workout session. It can also cover injuries that happen while performing other sports-related activities, however. If you are no longer covered under the teams’ health care plan, you may be able to get workers’ comp benefits after your career is over. Please speak with us to learn more. Filing a claim is free, and you only pay us when you get your recovery, because we work on a contingency fee agreement.

How long do professional athletes have to file a claim?

Every state there has a different timeline that you have to file a workers’ comp claim. You will need to check with an attorney in your state to know what it is. In California, you have one year to file a claim from the time that you are informed that you have the right to do so.

Can professional athletes get workers’ comp benefits in all states?

Yes, every state has a workers’ comp system in place that can be utilized by professional athletes. You can even file in more than one state if you have multiple injuries, but you can only obtain one recovery per injury, so if your claim is settled for that injury you cannot obtain a second recovery in another state.

What are the most common sports injuries?

There are myriad injuries that athletes of all types can suffer, including:

  • Broken bones and stress fractures
  • Joint injuries
  • Torn rotator cuffs
  • Spinal cord injuries
  • Back injuries
  • Traumatic brain injuries
  • Soft-tissue injuries to muscles and cartilage
  • Torn ligaments and torn anterior cruciate ligaments (ACLs)
  • Ruptured tendons
  • Hamstring injuries

This is not a complete list, so please contact us if you do not see your injury above.

What type of benefits can I receive as a professional athlete?

There are a variety of benefits that you can receive if you are injured while playing a professional sport. The most immediate benefit is monetary compensation for the injuries that you received, which is based on the type of injuries that you have. This can include permanent disability if the injuries are severe enough. You could also qualify for future medical care and potentially a pension depending on your claim.

Can you get workers’ comp for chronic (cumulative) injuries, even if they occur later?

Yes, workers’ comp covers injuries that happen over time, typically due to overuse or suffering repeated injuries. While there are many types of chronic sports injuries, athletes often suffer:

  • Concussions and traumatic brain injuries
  • Chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE)
  • Joint, ligament and tendon injuries

These cases can be more complex, so it is a good idea to work with an experienced workers’ compensation lawyer. We know what medical evidence you need to provide for cumulative injury claims.

Can amateur athletes receive workers’ compensation benefits?

In some cases, you may be entitled to workers’ comp. Factors that may affect your claim include:

  • Getting hurt at a company sporting event, whether it was mandatory or optional
  • Whether the injury happened on company property
  • Whether the company benefitted from the event
  • Your status as an employee of the company

You may receive pushback or a claim denial in these cases. Putting a lawyer on your side can help. We know the law and how to show evidence that your injury entitles you to workers’ compensation benefits.

Still Have Questions? Contact Us For A Free Consultation.

From our Los Angeles office, we represent professional and amateur athletes throughout California. To speak with a lawyer, call 323-472-4692 or send us an email.